Articles published in 2018
- After five years of continually climbing, the number of prisoners is finally dropping, Andrea Vance, 4 October 2018.
- Prison population drops by seven per cent in six months, system crisis averted, Laura Walters, Stuff, 3 October, 2018.
- The politics of crime – how the hunt for votes filled our prisons and threatens Minister of Justice Andrew Little’s plans for reform, David Fisher, NZ Herald, 18 August 2018.
- Big Read: Justice path and bulging prisons – will NZ listen to scientist or sceptic? David Fisher, NZ Herald, 17 May 2018.
- Using evidence to build a better justice system: The challenge of rising prison costs, Sir Peter Gluckman, Office of the Prime Minister’s Chief Science Advisor, 29 March 2018.
- Justice advocate proposes ‘quick fixes’ to slash prison muster to 7000 in six years, Matt Stewart, Stuff, 6 March 2018
- The countries closing their prisons, RNZ, 25 February 2018
- Andrew Little: ‘Longer sentences, more prisoners – it doesn’t work and it has to stop’, David Fisher, NZ Herald, 22 February 2018.
- Prisons under ‘immense pressure’ with only enough space for 300 more inmates, Stuff, 21 February, 2018.
- The Opportunities Party (TOP) policy on reducing the prison population
- Preserving the Dignity of the Mentally Unwell: Therapeutic Opportunities for the Criminal Courts of New Zealand, Lisa Hunt, August 2017.
- Political Roundup: Is the prison system broken? Dr Bryce Edwards, NZ Herald, 14 February 2017
- Justice, victims advocates debate prison population cuts, RNZ, 4 December 2017
- The problem with prisons, David Lomas in Noted, 30 July, 2011
International prison practice:
- Prison Population Rate all countries – Highest to Lowest, The use of imprisonment around the world, Centre for Prison Studies, King’s College, London.
- In Finland’s ‘open prisons,’ inmates have the keys, Public Radio International, April 2015
- How Finland reduced its prison population, Douglas B. Weiss, University of Maryland, Doris L. MacKenzie, from A Global Perspective on Incarceration: How an International Focus Can Help the United States Reconsider Its Incarceration Rates: Journal of Victims & Offenders, An International Journal of Evidence-based Research, Policy, and Practice, 2010.
- Finnish Criminal Policy: From Hard Time to Gentle Justice, Ikponwosa O. Ekunwe, University of Tampere, Richard S. Jones, Marquette University (2012) – 18 page download.
- Why Scandinavian Prisons Are Superior – Doran Larson, The Atlantic, September, 2013
- Why is Sweden closing its prisons? The Guardian 2013
- Dutch Get Creative to Solve a Prison Problem: Too Many Empty Cells, New York Times 2017
- ‘I have no thought of escaping’: inside the Brazilian prisons with no guards, The Guardian, 2 April 2018