- Prisons under ‘immense pressure’ with only enough space for 300 more inmates, Stuff, 21 February
- Tax cuts could be affected by $2.5b plan for more prison beds, NZ Herald, 18 October, 2016
- The Opportunities Party (TOP) policy on reducing the prison population
- Preserving the Dignity of the Mentally Unwell: Therapeutic Opportunities for the Criminal Courts of New Zealand, Lisa Hunt, August 2017.
- The countries closing their prisons, RNZ, 25 February 2018
- The problem with prisons, David Lomas in Noted, 30 July, 2011
- Political Roundup: Is the prison system broken? Dr Bryce Edwards, NZ Herald, 14 February 2017
- Justice, victims advocates debate prison population cuts, RNZ, 4 December 2017
International prison practice:
- Prison Population Rate all countries – Highest to Lowest, The use of imprisonment around the world, Centre for Prison Studies, King’s College, London.
- In Finland’s ‘open prisons,’ inmates have the keys, Public Radio International, April 2015
- How Finland reduced its prison population, Douglas B. Weiss, University of Maryland, Doris L. MacKenzie, from A Global Perspective on Incarceration: How an International Focus Can Help the United States Reconsider Its Incarceration Rates: Journal of Victims & Offenders, An International Journal of Evidence-based Research, Policy, and Practice, 2010.
- Finnish Criminal Policy: From Hard Time to Gentle Justice, Ikponwosa O. Ekunwe, University of Tampere, Richard S. Jones, Marquette University (2012) – 18 page download.
- Why Scandinavian Prisons Are Superior – Doran Larson, The Atlantic, September, 2013
- Why is Sweden closing its prisons? The Guardian 2013
- Dutch Get Creative to Solve a Prison Problem: Too Many Empty Cells, New York Times 2017